Cauliflower Kale Fried Rice
This recipe was another intuitive one. In other words, rarely do I actually measure out the amounts of ingredients that I add to a dish. Mostly, I just add as much as I feel like! Since I wanted this to be a mostly cauliflower "rice" dish, I made that the majority veggie, with other mix-ins. When it comes to seasonings, your taste buds are not like mine. You may need more salt, less salt, love hot and spicy or your eyes may water at the thought of pepper. So, as with most recipes here on the HYElife, take my guidelines with a grain of salt (see what I did there), and make it your own!
What you need:
- Cauliflower (easiest to buy already riced, but can buy a whole head and use a food processor)
- Yellow onion
- Garlic, minced
- Sea salt, pepper, turmeric, ginger, paprika (add according to your preferred taste)
- Nutritional yeast
- EVOO (or other preferred vegetable oil. Don't use canola. Not good for you.)
- Mix in veggies, such as mushrooms, peas, brussel sprouts, broccoli, carrots, bell pepper, etc. For added protein, add edamame, chickpeas, or other beans.
What you do:
1. Heat a bit of oil in a decent size pan on medium heat. Add minced garlic and onion and sautee until onion is transparent.
2. Add in the veggie mix-ins first, as they will take a little longer to cook. Once those are done, add in the riced cauliflower and seasonings. Stir everything around, cooking for about 5 minutes until cauliflower is softened and browning slightly.
3. Lastly, add the kale. I like to add a little water to the pan at this point, then place a lid overtop to steam the kale and keep everything from drying out. Allow to steam for 1 minute, then remove lid and stir the mix once more.
When all looks good to go, it probably is good to go! Turn off the oven and serve. Add a protein, like fish or tofu, if you didn't include a protein mix-in.