Sweet Potato 'Mac & Cheese'
Mac & Cheese, just like when we were kids, right?
Not gonna try and fool you guys— it’s not at all the same. But for something so healthy and guilt-free, it’s pretty damn good. Adding the veggies to the mix increases the amount of food you’re consuming, while also increasing the nutrients and without increasing the carbo load. Give it a try!
• 1.5 cup chickpea or lentil pasta (I like Banza)
• 1 cup (or more) of broccoli, peas, brussel sprouts, etc.
• 1 cup (or more) of spinach
• 1/2 large cooked sweet potato
• 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
• 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 1/3 cup of unsweetened original almond milk
• salt, pepper, turmeric, garlic as desired
Cook the pasta same as always. If your veggies are not yet cooked, I like to add them in to the boiling water with the pasta for the last few minutes. While it cooks, blend the cooked sweet potato, ACV, almond milk, yeast, and seasonings in a food processor. Once pasta is done, drain the water from the pot and toss in the spinach. Mix around the noodles and veggies to soften the spinach. Then add in the sauce to the pot. Add more almond milk or nutritional yeast to achieve desired consistency and flavor.