Blueberry Banana Cashew Baked Oatmeal
Having baked oatmeal after years of only ever eating microwave oatmeal... well that's just like having fine French cuisine after years of frozen dinners! Try it once, you'll never want to go back. Part of me honestly wishes I had never tried this, only because I know what I'll be missing out on most mornings when I don't have the time to bake before work. But that's only a very small part of me. Most of me is completely and utterly in love.
This oatmeal bake was inspired by the lovely Tayler from @cleaneatsbytay. Just giver her account a once over and you'll understand why (oatmeal porn, in a few words). Thank god my mom had recently gifted me a mini cast-iron skillet that was perfect for this!
The base of the recipe can be used as the base for any number of oatmeal bake flavors. I went with blueberry banana cashew, and it did not disappoint!
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 mashed ripe banana, or 1 tsp maple syrup for sweetness
- 1 dash (or several) of cinnamon
Superfood add-ins (optional):
- 1 tsp Anthony's Maca powder
- 1 scoop Further Foods Marine Collagen peptides
- 1 tbsp flax or chia seeds
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 sliced banana
- 2 tbsp raw cashews
- 1 tbsp natural nut butter
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a small baking dish or skillet with EVOO or other vegetable oil
- Mix all base and superfood add-ins together in a bowl. Toss in most of the blueberries and all the cashews.
- Pour the mixture into the dish/skillet, and add the sliced banana on top. Bake for about 20 mins.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Add remaining blueberries, and drizzle nut butter. Can also serve with some plain greek or dairy-free yogurt.
If you resent your microwave oats after this, join the club. But don't say I didn't warn you!